How to use a genga artbook for studying animation?

Hi everyone, I’ll try to keep this brief.

So recently I ordered a genga artbook with some of Yoshihiko Umakoshi’s artwork.

The problem is I have no idea how to read a genga layout.

What do you think is the best way to go about studying the drawings in it instead of just simply admiring his outstanding artwork (though I certainly plan on doing that too)?

Also, does anyone understand what these numbers at the bottom of the pages mean? Does this mean that the animators are counting every individual cut/scene?

Thanks in advance for the help!

(I’m still getting the hang of the forums here. It’s a pleasure to meet you all! ヽ(‘ ∇‘ )ノ)

2 Likes

For reading genga/layout, I really have no idea, I mostly just look at it to try and figure out how they actually drew it, but the numbers at the bottom are the episode and cut numbers I believe.

1 Like

Thanks! It looks like the lines have to be very precise and confident (goals).

I also did some looking and came across this forum post though it seems to be mainly about genga artbooks books in general.

1 Like

It depends what you want to get out of it.

You can study the drawings and copy or trace them. You can also study the way the animator planned the scene, the composition, shading, layers, etc…

If you know a bit of animation notation, you can also study, for example, what kind of spacing was used for certain action, what are the keys, and so on…

Nice book, btw. Looks very interesting.

(The numbers at the bottom of the page are the specific cuts where the frames came from, I think).

3 Likes