Maximize my usage of CSP Ex

Anyone have any resources that can help me maximize my usage if Clip Studio Paint Ex? I watched the YouTube videos for Striving for animation and realized I’m not getting the most out of this program I can be.

Clip Studio has a lot of resources on their website in terms of tutorial space, but if you need more specific help in areas, feel free to hit me up on discord (sharriq727#2688) if you have one, or reply here and I’ll get to it when I log on.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll look more into the resources. I had no clue, because I almost never visit their site. Also, how do you go about coordinating a fight scene and the camera movements for them?

That’s a great question that I’d just been learning about!

here’s a SUPER helpful resource link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-wKaeXzYOmbnc0cRXxGD0TEY5wgCUipw

Meanwhile here’s a summary of what the playlist covers–

Poses

• Start your fight choreography by defining cool poses each opponent will take during the course of battle. Keep in mind the poses will only last around ½ second, no less.
  • The poses should reflect the personality and fighting style of each character, because when they don’t it ends up looking disjointed and goofy.
  • After that is a matter of breakdown poses all acting as the connecting tissues to the main poses of combat. These would be the exchanges and combos.

Rhythm

• This is probably one of the more abstract ideas behind fight choreography, but what I’ve come to interpret it as is “speed of flow”; the idea that a fight will have a natural progression at a constant rate, like how a musical accompaniment might build up over time but at a regular rate measured by a conductor or metronome. I plan on seeing if this theory holds up by playing a metronome over a well choreographed fight scene and checking if every hit lands on a beat.
  • This section mentions combos and exchanges. Think of the Combos as a chorus for a song, and the changes as the verses. Ideally you want a good balance of the two, with exchanges outweighing combos ⅓.
    • Exchanges: The characters complete a series of hits/blocks/dodges that bulid up to a combo. You can get pretty creative with these.
    • Combos: The character completes a set of attacks chained into each other for one final payoff. These are good for removing a character from a fight for a temporary time.

Character

• Apparently this is the defining trait of Monty Oum and Jackie Chan fights.
  • The idea of character is that each opponent takes a moment to express themselves during the course of a fight, such as in the way they get angry, or hyped up, or if they’re distracted by something.

The Rule of Cool/Necessity

• I’ve seen this defined both ways, but really amounts to is your ability to sell a ridiculous idea despite its flaws. The idea that something is cool enough to sell an action without the logics of it really making sense.
  • This is also the rule of necessity because it depends on the necessity of the action itself. “I really need this guy to explode here” or “I’d love to be able to get them from here to here, but there’s no realistic way for them to do that” so instead you invent a cool way for that to happen. The character may suddenly hop on a moving train passing by, taking the fight to the roof, only to derail the train at the height of the action and using it to crash into their friend’s opponent and saving their life. Realistically impractical, but necessary to the story and cool none-the-less.
2 Likes

Thank you! Also that’s an interesting way to approach fight scenes. I’ll definitely go over the playlist. One of the things I’ve had issues with is key frame posing and connecting them. Your break down of it was really informative too. I’ll have to save this so I can reference back to it.

1 Like

Hello, can I ask you a question? With regards to the clip studio paint and its animation layer

How can I copy a reflect and paste layer?
When I do standardly “ctrl + c ctrl + v” a new layer is simply created, it is empty and cannot be edited.

1 Like

You will have to “Transform” the layer (Ctrl +T or Edit>Transform) and from the subtool palette you’ll have a button available for flipping the image.

Unless. are you asking how to duplicate a layer? You can simply right click on the layer you’re attempting to duplicate and select “Duplicate Layer”

Yes, I know this, I mean how in a layer on the timeline, copy and paste a frame?

OH! I see.

There is a symbol on the timeline with a chainlink on it, called “Specify Cel”. That will let you assign a frame to a point on the timeline. You can use this to duplicate an exposure of a frame, but keep in mind that any changes to that frame will appear on every version of the frame along the timeline.

To duplicate the frame as an original drawing, you duplicate it as if normal, then use the Specify Cel button to assign this new duplicate frame to the timeline

1 Like

Oh, got it, thanks for the clarification.:blush:

1 Like

There are English subtitles available with the closed caption option. This is probably the best tutorial I can find in regard to using CSP to make anime. It was made before the camera features were added afaik so it doesn’t mention those, but it’s great for everything else, and very succinct.
7 Likes