Modern Studios and Directors Sticking to Analogue?

Hiya folks. I was wondering if practicing traditionally is on the decline and whether or not it’s worth it to pursue the discipline. What Japanese studios, directors, and key animators are sticking to it? Has anyone been going back to it? Is there still aesthetic merit to drawing traditionally, or has it been completely obliterated by the convenience of modern technology?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Paper just feels quicker because you can get away with drawing a little sloppy and the drawings still turns out fine, digital you either be too rough or too clean, neither is particularly efficient. I have noticed people (and myself) who grew up on paper had a hard time adjusting to drawing on tablets and vise versa for digital people.

Logistically you are also expecting studios to have the money to renovate their working space to accomodate for the hardware and softwares required for digital work, which is very expensive and time consuming. The industry is at a state right now where those who work digitally can do so because they already have the equipments on hand, so you will very rarely see digital animator who is not a sub-contractor or contracted but works from home.

5 Likes

1 Like

Just remembered The Canipa Effect made a video about it

haha i remember the time when i was working on vanguard anime. the Japanese that sends as files always scanned it without aligning the pegholes it always drives as crazy since we need to add a step of aligning them XD.its actually a mix nowadays… since some of the animation director and some correctors are analogue… they still need to print for the correctors and re scan those for the digital users. usually if the Keyanimation is made in analogue we scan and send it to them the digital files then send them via mail the paper keyanimation to them since they always need the actual stuff. well after i left the studio they are already paperless.

1 Like