New comers who never draw anything

If anyone want to learn sakuga animation but never drew anything.
How should he start?

2 Likes

Well,
First thing first is to start drawing! Learn how to draw(you don’t need to be a professional before you need to animate) after that learn basic animation using stuff like Animator’s survival kit. :smiley:

Yeah, the beginning really is all about sketching as much as you can. Don’t worry about making anything good and don’t compare yourself to other people when you start out (or ever, really), just draw as much as you can. Focus on learning hand-eye coordination (drawing smooth lines, circles, shapes) and start doing simple sketches of people and objects around you whenever you have a few spare seconds.

2 Likes

I’d recommend starting with a book called “Drawing from the Right side of the Brain” and “Fun with a Pencil by Andrew Loomis” if you’re an absolute beginner, then studying figure drawing, Croquis cafe is a good resource for free figure drawing poses. For figure drawing you’ll want to learn about gestures primarily which will have a cascadingly positive effect on your animation work.

1 Like

To piggyback off of the figure drawing tips, I got started on gesture and figure drawing from a YouTuber called Proko. Here’s a playlist of his figure drawing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtG4P3lq8RHGuMuprDarMz_Y9Fbw_d2ws

Love Life Drawing which is another channel I recommend also recently posted a video which I really think is helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST9lPQhnQPY

I am in a similar position as i began drawing only six moths ago and wasn’t really sure where to start, but this really helped a lot. Also what about perspective and anatomy are there any solid resources you guys can recommend that improve understanding of those areas, like a book, tutorial, web-article or anything really. I found some resources myself but I though it’s better to ask people who are more skilled than me to see what worked for you.

So here are my thougths on what to do as a beginner.
Of course these tipps come from personal experience and maybe they will help you and maybe not.

I personally think, that first and foremost you have to learn to draw from life and you have to understand perspective.
And wih perspective I don’t just mean how to construct something based on a horizon line, but to be also able to draw a box, cylinder, cone and pyramid from any angle from imagination.(Box is the most important though) And also to understand ellipses and how they relate to horizon line.

After that it will be much easier to pick up the other art fundamentals like anatomy, value, color and composition.

Here are some ressources that can help you with that.

Drawing from Life:
Books :- Drawing from the right side of the brain by Betty Edwards

• Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson

Online Ressources: - https://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Perspective:

Books: Perspective made Easy by Ernest R. Norling
How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way by Stan Lee (Really great Introduction to thinking 3dimensionally)

Online Ressources: https://drawabox.com/

I think with the knowledge you can get from these ressources you will be way on your way to becoming a good draftsmen.

1 Like

Thank you so much, I will be starting on the perspective lessons from drawbox very soon.
I’ve been struggling with some of the anatomy work recently, I hope perspective will make it easier to grasp. Also, what about Bridgman’s book on constructive anatomy?

I don’t own Bridgmans book, so I can’t give you any helpful advice on that.

But how I would approach anatomy is to first learn the proportions of the skeleton and its structure and then look at where muscles originate and end.
That way you get a good understanding of the muscle 3dimensionally.

I did it by buying an atlas on human anatomy for reference. Then I studied the skeleton and muscles. And to practice I drew the skeleton and muscle groups over photos.

But I don’t think anatomy is that important at the beginning for drawing a convincing figure, I think oberservation skills are far more important.
However Anatomy helps to actually understand what you are seeing.

In the end you have to find an approach that works for you.
But as long as you draw, observe and try to figure things out, you should be fine.

Whythree is right, you don’t have to worry about anatomy at the start. What’s more important is practicing gesture (the flow of the drawing), and structure (simplifying the body into cubes and cylinders) which is where perspective plays a role. Anatomy comes after. Also, Bridgman’s anatomy is known to be really hard to study. I haven’t used it but I do know people who have and the general consensus seems to be that Bridgman isn’t meant for people just starting out.

I will lay off anatomy for now until I become more familiar with perspective and gesture. Thanks for the advice, I know what to focus on now

If you are willing to animate try to figure out your style, Keep in mind there are various of styles. One way to find out is to actually is to do animation, can’t stress it enough but the way to become a great animator is to: practice, practice, practice (and learn from previous mistakes). This community is a great one to participate in and I bet it could teach a lot!

Most of the advice I’d give has already been given, so I’ll just reinforce it by saying how important having a good foundation is. It makes learning more advanced things later much, much easier and faster.

Think of it like a dog. If you train a dog well as a puppy, it makes caring for them much more enjoyable and easy when they’re older. However, if you don’t train your pup well, caring for them will probably be a lot of work and quite frustrating at times.

1 Like