Paper or Digital?

Hi everyone, I would like to know if you animate on paper or digitally and why.

I would originally draw on paper, but learned digital animation for work in my country of Canada. I left that job after about a year and then got hired doing layout/rough genga in Japan. While I have only been here for about half a year, I’ve been working completely traditionally on paper and I really enjoy working this way, something about the tactile feel and the rawness of a pencil line really draws me in. I don’t consider myself a very strong animator compared to my co-workers (nor that good at Japanese), but I am learning a lot. Recently the studio was asking me about working digitally because I’ve done it back in Canada. I am really torn if I want to go back to working digitally. Would like to hear some opinions. Maybe I should do layout and rough genga digitally, and 2nd genga traditionally?

2 Likes

I can relate :relieved: i only do animation digitally everything else is done on paper, to be honest I would love to do animation on paper but I don’t have the materials needed ie animation paper, tracing board and scanner.
Guess I will have to learn animation digitally then switch to analog. There are areas where digital is good eg it’s beginer friendly giving room for experimentation/trial and error

1 Like

So I am not a professional so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.
But I would use the tools that I am most efficient with, especially when it is work related.

If you enjoy animating traditionally, you can still do that on your own time.

On the other hand it is of course important that you enjoy what you do, but maybe that comes back to being an efficient worker.

So I would say, if your employer doesn’t care what you use, than use what is most fun for you.

Paper then digital is what I do and would recommend it to anyone.

Why do you think it is better?

I’m definitely in the digital camp. It’s just easier to fix mistakes that way. Plus, I don’t have the materials necessary for traditional pen-and-paper animation. Nor do I think I have the patience and precision for it. At least, not right now.

Just starting out, but, while I prefer to draw on paper (I’m much sharper and more accurate on it, especially with pens) I find that doing my limited animations digitally is much more conducive to speed. The feel of a pencil or pen on paper is hard to replace, though. Physical media definitely has its charm :slight_smile:

1 Like

Digital for flexibility, efficiency and convenience.

I was trained first on paper and then digital during university. I loved paper, but for speed and flexibility purposes, we would always work digitaly. That until I got to be taught by Joseph Giland, the author of Elemental Magic. He taught me how to animate on paper with the right techniques, and I can say experienced animators can animate at light speed on paper. Assistance is also much faster on paper than witha tablet. Some months ago I got my hands on a decent sized pen display, and I can say, in terms of speed, is kind of in the midle, but paper is always faster for me. The only downside is the scanning and processing afterwards.

Digital. Digital is a godsend. I grew up before digital art was common, heck I think my mid 20s was when it started to pick up more. But like 20 years of using an eraser to remove mistakes can drive you crazy if you’re trying to improve :confused: