The Standard Animation Paper Type?

Someone of my friends had a question that began to plague me after
For the paper animators. are there is a paper type in the standard work that should I follow?
And is that right that is (210 x 297 mm) “A4” paper size is the standard?

sorry if I was annoying
Thanks for your time anyway

2 Likes

Hello,

No need to apologize, we’re all striving to learn the proper techniques. We’re in this together, so don’t fret too much.

I’ll try to be concise; if at a later date and time allows, I’ll answer what I missed.

What is important isn’t the paper (if you’re going to animate it with paper that is). It’s 1, the “peg bar” holes you need for proper registering and 2, the “field size” at which you’re going to be drawing in.

1. The peg bar is inexpensive, but the hole puncher for it isn’t. I don’t know which region you live in and what kind of access you have but you can buy in bulk the pre-punched hole paper and the peg bar. Just make sure it’s the “animation” hole punched and the “animation” peg bar; it’s three holes (1 circle in the center and 2 slim, rectangles on the top and bottom near the edge of one side). Do not get the regular three hole one (where all three holes are circles)- they might be convenient and cheaper, but when you’re going to be scanning in your images, let alone drawing on them stacked, the registration isn’t as tight and leads to misalignment when you do your final composite.

2. Now the field size. Now-a-days it’s gotten easier since you can output whatever rectangular you want. Now, don’t give up, people are all about dpi this and that and make a fuss. What you just need to make sure of is that you’re using the right ratio for the rectangle you’re going to draw in. For now, just understand any rectangle that is 16 units wide to 9 units tall. That’s why “16:9” gets thrown around a lot. It can be any unit of measurement units you want, it’s the ratio that is key. Again, the proportion has to be the same and the units themselves can be any kind of measuring tool you have access to- metric, inches, and so on. Just draw within that field and you should be good.

Lastly, as for the dpi, that’s when you worry about the “line quality” on the final composite, but for now just focus on using the correct peg bar, correct animation punched paper and drawing within a 16 unit wide to 9 unit tall “field” on that paper.

Well that should cover the general stuff for the paper. If there is anything else or something I missed, I’ll get back to you as soon as I can if time allows. But the important thing is to keep trying and keep reaching for your goals. Best of luck! :grin:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this helpful reply

Mainly and having a 60gms paper overlays the light
more…

Depending on what paper you’re saying

The layout paper (レイアウト用紙) ,and done with the given resolution you want for layout paper.

1. So you have to determine what resolution you want for you animation ,for example (1920x1080) ,now we define the resolution in dpi of the layout paper ,

2. And we choose the paper in relation to the dpi which is the resolution of animation for the paper. The resolution of the paper has to be greater than the resolution of its animation ,because the final animation will be within that rectangle of the final resolution.
    Suppose want to scan at low dpi (144 dpi) so I need a paper larger than the screen resolution (Field 15) in 144 dpi and it is possible to center the final resolution (1920x1080) after the paper in 144 dpi has the resolution in (2302x1797).

3.After the made a layout paper ,make the setting in your animation software to the margin of the final resolution ,after that do the shotting layout (レイアウト撮) safely without errors.

I’m sorry to talk a lot about, I really honor the production made on paper, I’ll post a topic on paper, wait …

Thanks for reading