What is the most effective way to draw and animate hands?

Hey everyone! I know a lot of you guys may be busy, but I want to reach out to you all and ask how you all practice drawing hands and how you handle hand movement, gestures, and finger movement. One of the things that I have found the hardest personally is to draw hands. Anatomy in general I struggle with, but hands the most. I see many tutorials online, but many of their methodologies differ and it becomes hard to see which is more effective.

No matter how many times I do this, hands will always be difficult for me to draw. Sometimes I have to use real life reference as my hand, and when it comes to animating hand/finger movement I just look at my hand and break down where I feel the fingers may move.

I never feel like its accurate and I would like your feedback on the practices you guys do to circumvent this.

From what’s given, I think you may be overthinking on how to draw a hand. You have the general idea and that’s good, but thinking of a hand as block segments first then “shaping out” the hands is good. No need draw every detail, because in animation it’s the forms that dominate, especially if you plan on coloring it.

But proportion is the key takeaway here. Try practicing hands in less extreme positions and then when you have them down, draw the more intricate ones to your heart’s content. The sky’s the limit. but you gotta have the basics of it before moving to one’s with lots of foreshortening, eccentric angles/positions or a combination of both.

Keep up the studious work! I like the notes to yourself and you pushing yourself doing more unconventional hand poses. Take care.

1 Like