Your Thoughts on Pirated Software?

I’m just curious (I swear I don’t pirate these stuff), but what are you guys’ thoughts on cracked software? My digital art club instructor gave out CLEARLY pirated Photoshop CS6 at the beginning of the term. I didn’t copy it, because I already paid for CS6 before Adobe went subscription based, but I’m just curious as to what you think about them. Personally, I don’t really care if people are using them if they can’t afford them (Creative Cloud is RIDICULOUSLY expensive), but what about people who are using them, not necessarily for professional use, even just for hobbyist use, when they can actually afford it? I know some people do this because they don’t wanna give Adobe even more ridiculous amounts of money, but what about other software development companies? Is CELSYS swimming in money? Does that even matter? I’m rambling at this point but I’m guessing you get the point. Do you think it’s “bad” to pirate software, and why?

Don’t do it. I don’t want people pirating my anime or art and want to to hold that same standard with other information goods. There are tons of other affordable or free software that is very capable. You just have to put in the time to figure out how to use it for your purposes. I think my favorite example is this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrwBc6PwAcY&feature=emb_title

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. That’s a great take. I wouldn’t want people using my artwork without my permission either. As for the video, that was a WILD ride. :joy: Just goes to show you can make do with whatever’s available.

I would think there is reason in say not paying in creative cloud but then mayby donating to and/or buying softwhere from smaller companys you want to support.

1 Like

Usually I’m indifference to pirated software Obviously it bad because it stealing, but at the same time some company give us no choice because of the price and the fact najor studio require it. I guess if you’re using for learning it"a fine.

I don’t really have a problem with pirated software to be honest. I used to pirate software in the past, though when I got the money I simply bought the product for the benefits of getting the regular updates. The ethics of doing so are obviously bad, but then again why is it okay for companies to screw consumers by setting high prices but wrong for consumers to find workarounds? Just my opinion, a lot of software is way too expensive for entry-level artists and even getting hardware at a reasonable price is difficult.

Just make sure you buy the product you are pirating once you can afford it and believe it is worth the money.

If only Celsys were selling Retas for simple mortals like me, who isn’t a company I wouldn’t pirate it. Usually when I pirate something I have reasons other than low money. And most of the time they have to do something with my country, where PayPal wasn’t available for ages, where bank system isn’t trustworthy etc. So it depends :confused: Whenever I am able to buy a software with no problems and want to appreciate developers for great working experience I do so and you should probably do the same, especially when it pays for itself.